I have a confession to make. I am wildly in love with using fresh herbs and veggies straight from the garden; however, unlike Sara, I was not blessed with a green thumb.
I might not have a natural gift for gardening, but I am a fast learner and I tend to seek out how-to information prior to jumping into a new project or new interest. And I have been successful in searching for and learning from gardening bloggers, library books and DVDs, and radio and TV programs. I prefer authors and information to be easily accessible for the novice as well as useful to the green thumbs.
This post is the first in a series of 3 weekly posts focused on gardening resources—whether you’re a novice or avid gardner, I think you’ll find these tips helpful. Today, I will be sharing with you my favorite online sources I believe you will enjoy and find useful.
Below is a list of gardening bloggers that provide expert advice and tips and whom I recommend to my friends and family.
- HomeHerbGardenAdvice.com: At Home Herb Garden Advice you will find a wealth of information, advice and tips for growing and using herbs. This blog was created and is written by herb garden enthusiasts. The beauty of Home Herb Garden Advice is the access it provides to the guidance, tips, and how to’s of dozens of gardening experts. Find a contributor you like? Just click the author’s name and find all of their articles regardless of where they are posted
- The Herb Gardener: I love the friendly, at ease approach Sara takes with her blog posts. On her blog you will find herb gardening tips to keeping pests at bay to herbal recipes. When I speak of information that is accessible to the novice, Sara’s writing is a wonderful example.
- Kitchen Gardeners International: This site is home to the non-profit Kitchen Gardeners International and promotes kitchen gardening, home-cooking, and sustainable local food systems. The information and engagement with fellow kitchen gardeners is simply great. With over 3,500 members, their forum is the place to post a question, respond to those posed by others, and find information on all sorts of kitchen gardening dilemmas. Want information on organic gardening? Or looking for how to create an urban garden? It’s all here.
- Bloggin Herb Man: The Bloggin Herb Man is Di Di Hoffman. Di-Di is the self-proclaimed South Afica’s Blogging Herb Man and has excellent credentials in the world of herbs and herb gardening. He is the owner of Bouquet Garni Nursery – South Africa’s top potted herb growers – and director of the South Africa Herb Academy. Terrific blog and expert advice.
- Digginfood.com: “The best gardening advice I ever received was this: Don’t worry so much, there is always next year.” This sentence hooked me on Willi Galloway’s blog. Willi, the West Coast editor of Organic Gardening magazine and the Garden Expert on eHow.com, blogs about what is happening in her garden and kitchen, shares growing guides and recipes for her favorite foods, and tells stories about other people who like to grow and eat real food. A Mother’s Day gift that my mom always appreciates is a gift for the garden. Here you will find ideas for gift giving and more.
Spring is right around the corner so catch up on your gardening expertise and get going on your garden plans.
Who is your favorite gardening blogger? We would love for you to share favorites with us in our comment section.