Stresses to Your Tresses? Never Fear, The Grooming Guru Advises on Winter Hair Care.
Charleston Naturally interviewed Barbara Brant-Williams of The Grooming Guru on the best care for hair during the winter months. A cosmetologist with thirty-seven years of experience making clients beautiful, Barbara also teaches for product companies, is a makeup artist and gives consumer seminars on at-home personal care and product ingredients.
CN: Winter weather can wreak havoc on one’s hair and skin. How does winter weather effect hair care? What common problems do your clients encounter?
B: From artificial heat sources to cold outdoor weather and varying temperatures, the climate for hair and skin in the winter is arid. One might find dry patches, dry scalp, static electricity, deeper wrinkles, more split ends and of course, dry hands.
CN: Agh! That does not sound good. What recommendations do you have for women and for men who want to look their best in the winter?
B: Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize your hair, body and face…morning and evening and hands throughout the day. And remember, moisture is not the same as oil. There are many oil free moisturizers for the hair and body. Use essential oils after bathing, while your skin is still damp. This rule applies to the face as well. Using a moisturizer on dry skin puts a seal on the skin, but is not nearly as effective. It’s a good idea to also moisturize from the inside out. Make sure you are getting enough essential fatty acids and omega 3’s and 6’s.
1) Scalp massage and weekly deep conditioners. In the case of dry and flaky scalp, tea tree oil massaged into the scalp and left on for 10 minutes before shampooing should provide relief.
2) Brushing the hair and stimulating the scalp at night, or before shampooing, is a good rule to follow.
3) For those of you who flat iron, make sure you protect your hair with heat deflecting products before using a tool that varies from 250 to 450 degrees.
4) For any type of hair exposed to blow drying, use body building, protective products.
CN: What type of Charleston Naturally products would you recommend using?
B: The natural and organic products that Charleston Naturally features are some of the very best for hair and for skin. These include:
- Intelligent Nutrients Hair and Scalp Treatment Oil (for moisture and flake reduction)
- John Masters Dry Hair Nourishment and Defrizz (to treat dry tresses)
- John Masters Pomegranate Facial Nourishing Oil (for dry skin – improves appearance of wrinkled face skin)
- Stem Organics Rejuvenating Face Oil (for dry, wrinkled skin)
- John Masters Blood Orange and Vanilla Body Milk (for dry skin)
- Intelligent Nutrients Anti-Aging Moisturizer (for dry skin and ongoing maintenance)
CharlestonNaturally.com’s offer of FREE shipping is good through March 1, 2010. Stock up now on your favorite products!
You can find Barbara at Strawberry Blonde, Charleston, South Carolina.