Meet Sophie the Giraffe. Sophie is a baby teether made from 100% natural rubber and food paint. Sophie was first introduced in France in 1961, and has become a favorite of moms worldwide. She has been featured in the pages of Parents, Mothering, Pregnancy & Newborn and Fit Pregnancy, as well as on the Martha Stewart Show.
Sophie ($22) is ideal for newborns to babies up to two year old. She conforms to all relevant international safety standards, and does not contain bisphenol-A (BPA) or phthalates.
The Sophie the Giraffe website explains how the product was designed to stimulate a baby’s senses and aid with teething:
- Sight: At the age of 3 months, a baby’s eyesight is still limited and he can only make out high contrasts. The Dark and contrasting attention-catching spots all over Sophie the Giraffe’s body provide visual stimulation and she soon becomes a familiar and reassuring object for baby.
- Hearing: Sophie’s squeaker keeps baby amused and stimulates his hearing. To begin with, the funny sound Sophie makes when she is squeezed helps to stimulate baby’s hearing, and then later, helps him to understand the link between cause and effect.
- Taste: A Sophie the Giraffe is made of 100% natural rubber and food paint, and is completely safe to chew, just like a feeding bottle nipple. Her soft texture and numerous chewable parts (ears, horns, legs), make her perfect for soothing baby’s sore gums during teething.
- Touch: Touch is the first means a baby has of communicating with the outside world. Sophie the Giraffe’s soft feel, like a mother’s skin, stimulates physiological and emotional responses that soothe baby and promote healthy growth and well-being.
- Smell: The singular scent of natural rubber from the Hevea tree makes Sophie the Giraffe very special and easy for your child to identify amid all his other toys.
- Easy to grip: Sophie the Giraffe’s shape and 18 cm (7 inches) size are perfect for baby’s small hands. She is very light, and her long legs and neck are easy for baby to grip, even from his earliest days.
No little ones yet? Sophie makes the perfect baby shower gift too!